IGNOU MBA SOLVED ASSIGNMENTS JULY-DEC 2013
SOFT COPIES and HAND-WRITTEN (made on order) Assignments are available on very reasonable price.
For more details contact MRS. AVINASH KAUR on +91-9911899400.
Note- without assignments submission, you are not eligible to fill the TEE Dec-2013 Examination form.
MS-01: Management Functions and Behavior
1) What are the Institution Building Skills of the Top Executives in organisational set up? Explain with examples from various Institution Building Personalities quoting their role relating to various skills which contributed in Institution Building. Briefly describe the organisational history you are referring to.
2) What are the common barriers to effective Decision making? How can they be overcome? Quote and describe the instances from your own experiences or the experiences you are aware of relating to and substantiating the answers to this question. Briefly describe the organisation and the situation, you are referring to.
3) Conflict is an integral part of organisational functioning. Briefly describe and discuss the impact of conflict on organisational functioning. Draw from your own experience or the situations and effect you are aware of in organisational set up with reference to the various impacts listed in the study material. Briefly describe the organisation, and the situation you are referring to.
4) How do you see the relationship between leadership styles and leadership Theories? Describe, explain and relate your answer with the experience you have had in the organisational set up yourself or you are aware of. Describe the situation and the organisation briefly, which you are referring to.
MS-02: Management of Human Resources
1) What are the primary objectives, focus, and purpose of Selection Tests and Interview in the whole process of Hiring in organisational set up? Critically examine their usefulness, and importance in the short term and long term functioning and culture of the organisation. Draw from the experiences you are familiar with. Describe the organisation and the situation you are referring to.
2) What are the problems usually encountered in the Performance Appraisal in organisations? How are and whether these problems taken care of at the ground level reality in organisational set up? Critically examine and substantiate your answers with examples you are familiar with. Briefly explain the situation, you are referring to.
3) Do you agree with the statement that “Training is not fulfilling its proper role in various organisations”? Briefly describing the roles the Training is expected to play, substantiate your answer with suitable examples. Critically examine the expected contribution of training and its status at the ground level in the corporate Sector, referring to credible information sources and findings in Indian context.
4) How is the function of Reward Management being applied/used/effectively used/ by the organised sector and other organisations in Indian context? Explain with suitable examples, and base your answer on the credible studies and findings available in this regard. Give proper references and details wherefrom you draw your answers.
MS-03: Economic and Social Environment
- “All modern economies have certain economic problems to deal with”. Examine and illustrate the statement.
- Briefly examine the growth of SSI in the post-reforms period.
- Critically analyze the achievements and adverse effects of regulatory framework in the course of India’s industrialization.
- Distinguish between free trade and protection. Discuss the merits and demerits of free trade vs. protection for a developing country like India.
- Collect data on foreign technical and financial collaborations for the period 2005-2012 and write a note on the trends of these collaborations.
MS-04: Accounting and Finance for Managers
- Explain the various accounting concepts and examine the role of accounting concepts in the preparation of financial statements.
- Explain the meaning of fund flow statement. How would you compute funds from operations in order to prepare sources and usage statement of funds?
- What is CVP analysis? How does it differ from break-even analysis?
- An analytical statement of Altos Limited is shown below. It is based on an output (sales) level of 80,000 units.
Revenue before fixed costs
Earning beore tax
Calculate the degrees of (i) operating leverage, (ii) financial leverage and (iii) the combined leverage from the above data.
- What is meant by capital structure? Explain the theories of capital structure in brief.
MS-05: Management of Machines and Materials
- Explain Product design. How does it influence the Process Design?
- Define Job Design. Identify the important factors and their influences in designing the Job.
- What do you mean by Production Planning & Control (PPC)? Explain the role of aggregate planning in PPC.
- What is value Engineering and Analysis. Explain how to organize value engineering function in shoe manufacturing organization.
- Explain with the help of block diagram the purchasing decision making process in an engineering organization. Briefly discuss the process of vendor rating.
- Write short notes on:
a) Capacity Planning
b) Work Sampling
c) Line Balancing
d) Acceptance Sampling
e) Waste Management
MS-06: Marketing for Managers
1. (a) “Marketing in the performance of business activities that directs the flow of goods and services from the produces to consumers”. Discuss the above statement by taking two suitable examples of your choice.
(b) Discuss the concept of service and report on the reasons for the growth of the service sector.
2. (a) What are the various elements of marketing mix? Explain each of there elements and their importance in the marketing planning process of a consumer durable company manufacturing room air conditioner.
(b) Discuss the procedure of conducting marketing research in the Indian Context.
3. (a) Who is a consumer? Define consumer behavior and discuss why a knowledge of consumer behavior in essential for Marketers.
(b) Discuss Product Life Cycle concept and elaborate on the importance of PLC as a tool
for monitoring and nurturing a the brand. Illustrate with suitable examples.
4. (a) What do you understand by the term Marketing Communication and its role in the promotion of a firms product or service. Discuss with two suitable examples one choosing from FMCG & other from a service offering.
(b) Discuss the importance and relevance of sales and distribution function in a manufacturing
and marketing organization of your choice.
MS-07: Information Systems for Managers
1. Describe the main components of a network including hardware & software and various types of networks. Distinguish between LAN & WAN and distinguish between Internet and Intranet.
2. Discuss why management needs information. Is it possible for the management of an organization to make effective decisions without the aid of an information system? Discuss.
3. What are integrated software applications? Talk about their advantages and business utility. Write notes on the business software solutions provided by:
4. What are the different phases of traditional system life cycle? In which phase of system life cycle the following are performed? Defining the problem, identifying its causes, specifying the solution, and identifying the information requirements.
5. It is said,” Information and communication are most of the time complementary and sometimes supplementary to each other”. Elaborate!. What do you understand by competitiveness of ICT? Highlight the impact of ICT for the developing nations with respect to the economic activities.
MS-08: Quantitative Analysis for Managerial Applications
1. “Statistical unit is necessary not only for the collection of data, but also for the interpretation and presentation”. Explain the statement.
2. Find the standard deviation and coefficient of skewness for the following distribution
3. A salesman has a 60% chance of making a sale to any one customer. The behaviour of successive customers is independent. If two customers A and B enter, what is the probability that the salesman will make a sale to A or B.
4. To verify whether a course in Research Methodology improved performance, a similar test was given to 12 participants before and after the course. The original marks and after the course marks are given below:
Marks after the course
Was the course useful? Consider these 12 participants as a sample from a population.
5. Write short notes on
a) Bernoulli Trials
b) Standard Normal distribution
c) Central Limit theorem
MS-09: Managerial Economics
1. Explain the discounting principle. Using the discounting principle calculate the present value of an annuity of five years at Rs. 500 payments made at the end of each of the next five years at 10% interest.
2. With reference to the marketing approach of demand measurement explain any two important sources of data used in demand forecasting.
3. How are Isoquants different from Isocost? Illustrate using graphs.
4. “An analytical tool frequently employed by managerial economists is the break even chart, an important application of cost functions.” Discuss this statement giving examples from any firm.
5. Describe how oligopolistic competition exists in the real world giving examples from FMCG Companies.
6. Write short notes on the following:
(a) Product Differentiation
(b) Equi - Marginal Principle
(c) The Price Elasticity of Demand
MS-10: Organisational Design, Development and Change
1) Briefly describe the factors which affect organisational design and explain the four approaches in assessing organisational effectiveness.
2) Describe and discuss different perspectives of organisation design and their relevance. Explain different restructuring strategies.
3) Describe and discuss the trends in the present day work organisations and the role of Management in quality of work life.
4) What is organisational diagnosis? Discuss the importance of it. Briefly discuss interview as a method for organisational analysis.
5) What are the different sources of resistance to change? Discuss with examples. Describe the process of overcoming resistance to change.
MS-11: Strategic Management
1. What is the purpose of strategy? Explain. What are the different levels of strategy in an organization? Explain these levels with the help of an illustration.
2. Discuss the concept of strategic alliances. Why do organizations pursue strategic alliances? Explain with the help of an example.
3. What is the balanced scorecard (BSC)? As a strategist what challenges will you face while developing and implementing a BSC? Discuss.
4. What do you understand by an organizational culture? Is there a relationship between service and culture of an organization? Justify with the help of a case of an organization.
5. Discuss as to why evaluation of a strategy is important for an organization. Support your answer with the help of an example from the corporate world.
MS-25: Managing Change in Organizations
- What is Turnaround Management? Explain how turn around Management can be used for bringing change in organisations. Give examples.
- State the reasons for the change to occur in organisations and substantiate it with illustrations.
- Explain the importance of interventions to be used in bringing about change in organisations. Describe any two interventions and their merits and demerits in the context of organisations.
- Differentiate between Transactional and Transformational leadership. Describe the competencies and skills required for a leader in order to bring change in organisations.
- Describe various steps involved in organisational change to occur. Briefly discuss the role of chief implementor in bringing change in organisations.
MS-26: Organisational Dynamics
1. What is alienation? Explain the Sociological and Psychological approach to alienation. Discuss how alienation can be dealt with an example.
2. Describe how stress can be managed and identify the strategies to cope with stress and burn out. Illustrate with reference to an organisation as to what strategies they use to deal with stress.
3. Discuss the importance of delegation and the forces which influence delegation. Describe how delegation improved the effectiveness of an organisation with an example.
4. Describe the importance of ethics in present day environment of organisations. Discuss how organisations can promote ethical behavior. Illustrate.
5. Discuss and describe various dimensions of Diversity and the approaches to deal with Diversity.
MS-27: Wage and Salary Administration
1. Explain the role of Compensation. Why is an effective Compensation Policy an important function of Management? Discuss.
Describe the compensation structure of an organisation you are familiar with.
2. Explain the Payment of Bonus Act, 1965. Is the employer liable to pay minimum bonus even in case of loss in the establishment? Discuss.
Describe, when an employee can become disqualified to claim bonus citing suitable example from an organisation you are familiar with.
3. Explain the Concept of job-evaluation. Describe the methods and systems of job-evaluation that have been followed in an organisation you are familiar with. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of them.
4. Explain what is Performance Linked Reward System? Describe various steps involved in designing a Performance Linked Reward System. Examine the current issues and trends in linking performance with reward system of any organisation you are familiar with.
5. Discuss compensation issues and problems. Describe the characteristic features of managerial compensation. What type of compensation system normally motivates the executives? Explain with suitable examples from an organisation you are familiar with.
MS-28: Labour Laws
- Explain the concept, origin and objectives of Labour Legislations. Describe the regulative protective and wage related labour legislations which have been followed in an organisation you are familiar with. Briefly describe the organisation you are referring to.
- Explain the scope and coverage of the Mines Act, 1952. Describe the enforcement of the Act. Discuss the provisions regarding working hours for adults under the Act.
- Explain the principal objectives, scope and coverage of the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947-1. Describe the various machineries for investigation and settlement of disputes under the Act.
- Explain the objective, scope and coverage of the Payment of Wages Act, 1936. Describe the rules for the Payment of Wages regarding the responsibility for payment. Does this Act create the legal right of workers to receive their earned wages?
- Explain genesis, scope, coverage and definitions of the Workmen’s Compensation Act, 1923. Discuss what are the circumstances under which the employer is not liable to pay compensation for injury to a workman? What are the various benefits payable under the Act?
MS-29: International Human Resource Management
1) Explain the term ‘International Human Resource Management’. Discuss in detail the differences between domestic and international HR practices.
2) a) Briefly explain the importance of Performance Management from
b) What criteria should be evolved before assessing an expatriate?
c) Discuss an expatriate Performance Management Model.
3) Discuss in detail different barriers to cross-cultural communication and the challenges related to it.
4) Briefly discuss the issues relating to international Industrial relations. Give few examples as to how trade unions have responded to Multinationals.
5) What is Cultural Sensitivity? Briefly discuss the strategies for dealing with cultural differences citing examples.
MS-44: Security Analysis and Portfolio Management
1. What do you understand by risk? Explain the various types of risks.
2. Discuss the objectives and functions of Securities and Exchange Board of India.
3. Why is Company Analysis important for equity investment decision? What are the different methods of quantitative analysis used for equity investment decisions?
4. What are Formula Plans? Critically evaluate the various formula plans.
5. Discuss the concept of mutual funds and describe various types of schemes issued by mutual funds.
MS-45: International Financial Management
1. Explain in detail how the financial architecture has evolved over a period of time.
2. What are international financial flows? Explain the structure of the balance of payments and discuss the basic principles governing recording of the flows.
3. Explain in detail the Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) and the Interest Rate Parity (IPR)
4. Why is cost of capital different across countries?
5. What are the factors responsible for the recent surge in international portfolio investment?
MS-46: Management of Financial Services
1. What do you mean by ‘Financial System’? Explain the various components of financial systems detailing their purpose and functions.
2. What is a depository system? Discuss the process of dematerialization and the process of creating pledge of securities held in depository.
3. Describe in detail the important aspects of the pre issue activities.
4. Explain the concepts of leasing and hire purchase and point out the difference between the two.
5. What are maritime perils? What is the difference Marine Cargo Policies and Marine hull policies?
MS-55: Logistics and Supply Chain Management
1. “It is the integration of the business processes of all firms in the supply chain where the real gold can be found”. Do you agree or disagree? Justify your answer.
- Correlate the practical problems and factors influencing the transportation of a company or carrier.
- Give an example of a channel assembly supply chain and explain how a third party logistics (3PL) company executes this.
- What are supply chain performance measure systems? Discuss two frameworks that are used in measuring the performance of supply chains.
MS-56: Materials Management
1. If the responsibility for maintaining the quality of the product and incurring less cost on its production is the responsibility of the “production/ operation” and deciding the price of the product and finding the customers that will buy it comes under “marketing”. What do the “materials management function” does?
2. How does JIT differ from MRPII? Briefly discuss the basic requirements and assumptions of JIT implementation.
3. What do you understand by the term codification? What type of information should be built into a code?
4. Differentiate between
a. Purchasing and subcontracting
b. Independent and dependent demand
c. Competitive Bidding and Negotiation
MS-57: Maintenance Management
1. Elaborate your understanding about maintenance planning and scheduling.
2. Explain the importance of maintenance budgeting. Discuss the advantages of Zero Based Budget.
3. What do you understand by the term ‘Total Safety Management’? Differentiate between investigation of incidents and audits.
4. What do you mean by Reliability? How it is different from Quality? Explain BATH-TUB CURVE.
5. Explain Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM) and its process of implementation.
6. Write the short notes on the following
b) Spare Parts Inventory
c) Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
d) Condition Based Maintenance (CBM)
MS-58: Management of R&D and Innovation
- Explain the interaction between science, technology and business. How do these interactions affect industrial growth? Give suitable examples.
- Are innovations and creativity interrelated? Discuss the various methods of enhancing or maintaining the creativity.
- Discuss the rationale of partnership in innovation and R&D. Explain the different types of partnership for this purpose.
- What are the different types of R&D projects? Explain the concept of project life cycle with examples relating to a specific technology or product.
- What resources are required for R&D activity? Discuss critically the availability of relevant resources for R&D in India.
- What do you mean by the terms Patent, Design, Trademark and Copyright? Explain briefly the role of WTO and WIPO on IPR issues.
MS-66: Marketing Research
1. (a) As a Researches, you have been assigned a primary research project to be undertaken. Discuss the research process that you would adopt to complete the given task.
(b) Discuss between exploratory and descriptive research designs.
2. (a) What is data? Discuss the various types of data and their sources available to the researcher. Evaluate each of there sources in terms of their merits, demerits and limitations.
(b) Discuss the importance of developing a questionnaire in a research project. What are the
do’s and dont’s that should be considered while designing the questionnaire.
3. (a) Elaborate on Qualitative Vs Quantitative research approaches. Explain any two methods of conducting Qualitative research and their limitations.
(b) Why and when multi-dimensional scaling technique can be applied in marketing research?
4. (a) What is conjoint analysis? Explain its application in marketing Research.
(b) What are the different types of probability sampling methods? Explain with the help of suitable examples
MS-68: Management of Marketing Communication and Advertising
1. (a) Explain the concept of Marketing Communication. What marketing communication tools would you recommend in the following situations?
(a) Newly introduced diesel midsize car launched by a leading Japanese car maker.
(b) Change in company logo.
(b) What is mass media? In what situation is mass media employed? Pickup any two examples of your choice and explain its relevance.
2. (a) Suggest what message strategies and order of presentation should be used for the following products and services and why?
(a) Safe driving habits for youth
(b) SUV from a leading automobile company
(b) Discuss the relevance and significance of creativity in adverting with suitable
3. (a) Explain advertising pre-testing and post testing with two examples for each of these
(b) Discuss briefly the different forms of marketing communication available to the
marketer or advertiser and the benefits and limitations associated with each of these
4. (a) Discuss at length the role and responsibilities of an Adverting agency in providing suitable services to its clients.
(b) What are the reasons for internet growing as a strong medium for adverting and
MS-611: Rural Marketing
1. What are the specific marketing challenges presented by rural markets? Explain with the help of examples.
2. Discuss the rural environment in terms of the infrastructure available for marketing. How does this environment affect the marketing decisions and opportunities? Explain with reference to any one of the following
(i) Marketing of banking services
(ii) Marketing of Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) like toilet soap & detergents. (If
you so desire, you may take any other FMCG of your choice)
3. Explain the factors that influence buyer behaviour in the rural context, specially highlighting the impact of social class and reference groups. Use appropriate examples to illustrate your answer.
4. Discuss the various product strategies marketers’ use for rural markets, giving suitable examples.
5. What are the major objectives of sales promotion? Suggest rural sales promotion methods for the following products (any two).
(i) Hair oil
(ii) Cycle tyres
(iii) Ceiling fans
6. Explain the role of Melas and Haats in rural distribution.
MS-612: Retail Management
1. (a) What do you understand by the term Retailing? Discuss the major activities performed by a retailer in the Indian Context.
(b) Explain “Wheel of Retailing” with suitable illustrations
2. (a) Who is an retail customer? Briefly list out the characteristics of a retail customer and the various consumer behavior patterns that you are familiar with
(b) Explain the process of choosing a store location and elaborate the various criteria for evaluating location aspects in the following situation
(a) a chain of hair dressing salon for the elite
. (b) Multibrand footwear retailer
(c) PDS for lower income group by the government
3. (a) What constitute Retail Mix? Discuss various considerations to be kept in mind which
planning for store merchandise
(b) Explain the term sourcing and discuss the challenges associated in sourcing
merchandise by the following retailers
(a) Grocery Retailer
(b) Multibrand Woman garments.
4. (a) Enumerate and discuss the various issues that impact retail business in India.
(b) What are the reasons for growth in non-store retailing? Discuss.
MS-91: Advanced Strategic Management
Q1. a) What is the significance of corporate policy in today’s changing scenario?
b) Select an organization of your choice (Name and describe the organization) and briefly discuss the various types of policies it has adopted.
Q2. a) Identify the unique competencies of Ranbaxy Laboratories.
b) Discuss in detail the various modes of entry adopted by Ranbaxy.
(Refer to the case study given in Block 3)
Q3. How can creativity be encouraged within an organization? Discuss with the help of an example of a creative organization.
Q4. No business can exist without ethics. In the light of this, explain the importance of ethics for a business.
Q5. Write short notes on the following:
a) Need for Corporate Governance
b) Strategic Choice
c) Knowledge Management.
MS-94: Technology Management
1. Every now and then we witness many technological changes that affect our day to day functioning and the production of goods and services. Discuss any such technological change and its impact on our day to day life.
2. Discuss giving examples, the importance of generation, up gradation or improvement of technology.
3. Explain different types of technology transfer and discuss how the impact of such transfers is assessed. Support your answer with relevant examples.
4. How important is technology to:
· Economic development
· Progress of society
· Improvement in the quality of life?
Illustrate giving relevant examples.
5. Chose an organization of your choice. Identify the groups/agencies involved in managing the technology of that organization and analyze their roles and linkages.
MS-95: Research Methodology for Management Decisions
- Discuss the significance and importance of the elements that make up the complete research problem
- How would you use a Likert scale to ascertain the image of a leading Computer Brand among some consumers?
- A group of 11 students selected at random secured the grade points: 1.5, 2.2, 0.9, 1.3, 2.0, 1.6, 1.8, 1.5, 2.0, 1.2 and 1.7 (out of 3). Use the sign test to test the hypothesis that intelligence is a random function (with a median of 1.8) at 5% level of significance.
4. Write shot notes on
a. Regression Analysis
b. Discriminant Analysis
c. Factor Analysis
5. Write a brief note on the important elements of communication dimensions namely Purpose, Audience, Media, Message, Time, Place and Cost.
MS-96: Total Quality Management
1. Explain the salient features of Total Quality Management (TQM) approach and their relevance in the present competitive environment.
2. List out the 14 steps give by Crosby in TQM. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of Crosby’s “Absolute Quality Management”.
3. Do you think leadership is an important aspect for successful application of Quality Management in an organization? Justify giving examples.
4. Explain “P-D-C-A cycle”. Discuss how it is helpful in problem solving.
5. Discuss the objectives and structure of ISO 9000.
MS-97: International Business
- What is the concept of comparative cost advantage? Critically examine the concept with suitable examples.
- Bring out the recent trends in distribution of FDI flows and reasons for growing marginalization of the LDCs in their global distribution.
- Briefly discuss the evolutionary patterns in the organization structure of international business.
- Compare the global strategies and the organizational structures of MNEs of any two countries of your choice.
- What are different types of subsidiary roles? Discuss by citing examples that you know.
- What is partial productivity? How does it differ from total productivity?
MS-422: Bank Financial Management
Q.1. Discuss the importance of financial analysis in a Bank and the techniques that are used for doing such analysis.
Q.2. What are the different sources from which banks borrow funds? Discuss in detail the Scheme of Rediscounting Bills of Exchange introduced by RBI.
Q.3. Explain the characteristics of different Money Market instruments and the reasons why these instruments are preferred by Banks.
Q.4. “The Department of Banking Operations and Development, Reserve Bank of India, has outlined the Building Blocks of Credit Risk Management in its Guidance Note on credit risk management”. Discuss each of these blocks in detail. Write a brief note on its implementation in a bank of your choice.
Q.5. Select any case study on mergers of financial institution and discuss it in details.
MS-494: Risk Management in Banks
Q1. Discuss the role of a Bank Treasury in managing the different risks in a bank.
Q2. Critically analyse the Guidance Note issued by the Reserve Bank of India on Credit Risk Management.
Q3. Explain market risk and its components. Discuss how it is measured and managed in a Bank of your choice.
Q4. What is the need for effective Operational Risk Management? Explain this with the help of a case study of a Bank of your choice.
Q5. “Periodical review and report on implementation of RBI’s guidelines to the risk management committee is necessary”. Discuss
MS-495: Ethics and Corporate Governance in Banks
- ‘The values of individuals are different from work values.’ Briefly discuss this statement giving examples?
- Distinguish between the Anglo American and German Model of Corporate Governance?
- Explain the composition of Board of Directors with reference to Corporate Governance in Indian Banking Sector.
- How are Employees’ rights different from Consumers’ rights? Examine these differences in the context of a nationalised bank of your choice.
- Discuss the Collapse of Global Trust Bank and identify the remedies suggested by RBI.
- Write short notes on the following:
a) Cadbury Committee, 1992
b) Corporate Citizenship